Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Listen. (part 1)

A happy byproduct of having been home sick this week - I believe today will be the last day off, but we'll see if the fever returns - is that I've had plenty of time to spend online and listen to music. I thought today I would share a few of the things I'm finding I cannot stop listening to. Maybe you'll like them too.

I first stumbled upon Maia Hirasawa a while ago, and she's got to be the best thing to come out of Sweden since IKEA. Well, maybe that's a cheap reference. She's got this wonderful breathy thing going on. Well, here, you decide how you want to categorize it. It's fantastic:




I think all videos from now on should be filmed in dingy bathrooms. Dig the giant drumming rat, too.

This is my other favorite track by her right now:

Maia Hirasawa You and Me and Everyone We Know

Maia Hirasawa is also part of Hello Saferide, who I suppose would be the other best thing to come out of Sweden since IKEA. (I should really stop that.) Slightly different sound. There's a drum in this song that I keep hearing even when it's not playing:

Hello Saferide The Quiz

You can learn more about both acts, and buy their music, at their label, Razzia Records.

Going in another direction, you can't seem to go anywhere without coming across a reference to The National. (SIXEYES has posted a lot of stuff lately.) Right now, I can't seem to get enough, either. Here's what YouTube has to offer:



Check out "Fake Empire" on their Myspace page. This one's an older track, but killer (forgive the heinous pun):

The National Murder Me Rachel

The National's new album Boxer (the one that everyone is raving about) is available at Insound. Get it.

Finally, if you were at all like me a few years ago and couldn't stop listening to the Elephant 6 stuff (Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk, etc.) you might find a fix with The Decemberists. It may just be that voice, as I don't recall Jeff Mangum ever using a saloon piano:

The Decemberists Bandit Queen

You can buy The Decemberists at krs records. You should.

No comments: