Monday, April 30, 2007

Getting Freaky on the TTC



Having lived in Toronto for most of my life, and spending most of it on the TTC (I still don't have a driver's license at my age, and at this rate doubt that I ever will) I rather thought that by this time, I had seen everything. I mean, from the mundane weirdnesses (mumbling psychopaths, guys playing with themselves, the girl who flashed her cooch at me, old men cutting their toenails - seriously, what's wrong with some people - even this guy by some standards blends in with the scenery) but the other day, I found that citizens in my city had reached a wonderful new low. I'm getting on the subway around 6:30 pm on my way to the pub from work, and at Royal York station, there's a section of platform that's wider near where the escalators are. Because it's wider there, there's some large columns to support the ceiling, that also create blind spots. A couple of months ago, I happened upon a guy openly writing on the wall with a marker - I didn't say anything to him, but decided that if I saw him again, I'd say something, because, again, what's wrong with some people. So this day last week, I'm walking down the platform, and I see something out of the corner of my eye, so I turn, and there's a guy pressed up against one of these columns. I'm about to turn towards him, when I realize he's not alone. In between him and the wall there's a woman, and they're totally banging each other. (Once more with feeling: what's wrong with some people?!?) I suppose I should give them some credit, as they were being relatively subtle about it - he was holding his jacket out around her waist, so you couldn't see the "point of entry", as it were, and he, being the more visible one, was standing still, while she was rocking back and forth. But, holy crap, she was getting nailed on the subway platform in rush hour. The most obvious thing to say would have been "Get a room", but shock won out and I simply got on my train. They happened to be fairly averagely unattractive people, but the thing was, they looked somewhat, averagely normal, also. As in, they didn't appear to be a couple of crackheads oblivious to their surroundings, nor did they seem to be the freaky sex-in-public type (mind you, I'm not sure I'd recognize that type in a lineup anyway). They just seemed like everyday, bland mundane people, who will now disappear into the earlier category of weirdos on the subway that you ignore. I shudder to think of what will come next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you even more for having this blog Andrew - you rock.

Also, please post pics of H. in roller derby action - you have one sassy girl there!
Meredith