Sunday, July 1, 2007

Happy Canada Day

Well, hi there everyone, and a happy 140th birthday to dear old Canada. I know, if you'd known you'd have baked a cake. Well, you're here, I'm here, Canada is here, let's all sit down together and have a little music party.

I've put together a handful of some very Canadian songs for your listening pleasure.

Stompin' Tom Connors is definitely a legend - let's call him a Canadian Johnny Cash without the drugs and the booze. There's nothing more Canadian than combining Tom with that other Canadian passion - hockey.


Stompin' Tom Connors - The Hockey Song



I don't know much about these guys, but this would definitely qualify as Canadian Classic Rock.


The Kings - Switching To Glide



Great band from the late 80's, early 90's - The Grapes of Wrath. Think they're still out there somewhere - look them up on Google.


The Grapes of Wrath - You May Be Right



The last time I saw these guys was at a movie theater downtown - literally, the lead singer and lead guitarist were going in to see a flick. This is the original of a song ruined by Hootie & the Blowfish. No one sings like Neil Osbourne.


54-40 - I Go Blind



Larry Gowan's Strange Animal album was huge when I was 14. It is worth tracking down a video for this song on You Tube - oh, hell, I'll show it you myself. Check out his earring.




In a very odd development, Larry Gowan is now the lead singer for Styx. No, seriously.


Gowan - Strange Animal



And what would a Canadian musical tribute be without the greatest of Canadians himself?


William Shatner - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds



ps ... welcome to Canada Alex!

No comments: