Monday, July 16, 2007

A Smashing Time Was Had By All

Saturday was once again Roller Derby night in Toronto, this time the Gold Digger Grudge Match, in which the Chicks Ahoy! simply crushed the Bay Street Bruisers. (I really ought to start writing down the scores at the end of the matches - you can get the scores at Toronto Roller Derby.) Penny Whistler, as usual, was superb as a penalty ref. The game got a little sloppy later on, with plenty of wipeouts - but still nothing deliberate - and to everyone's great disappointment the manager of the Bruisers did not get thrown out for repeatedly arguing with referees about scoring and penalties. Most of us in the crowd were certain that the manager was performing some sort of theatrical bit to fire up his team, or was trying to get himself "thrown out" for fun. Penny assured me that no, he was pretty serious, and that Sir Refs-A-Lot came pretty close to tossing him.

We did a pretty good job of representing - between H and myself, we managed to bring 17 or 18 people, including my folks, as it turns out that the whole family thinks this is pretty cool. My father videotaped some stuff to show to Grandma, and even got himself quoted in a news article. (I guess I wasn't engaging enough as a boyfriend of a ref. Hmph.) Also in attendance was our friend, Paul the Feeder, from Diary of a Feeder. (I have feeling he will not be writing up the arena's French fries, which another friend described as the worst fries in the history of fries.) I have already had a couple of suggestions from friends that I sign up as a ref next season, supposing that H will move out of the ranks to become a competitor. Well, we'll see. Right now I'm very happy supporting her in this thing, which after all is her thing, not mine. But I'll keep it in mind. I will accept suggestions for derby names as well.





Here's Penny with our newest convert to the Derby crowd, Alex. The derby schedulers have very helpfully scheduled the next 2 matches on either Saturday that straddles Alex and Meredith's wedding, so we can all still go, and all still go to the next derby event!

The next match will be Saturday July 28th, again at 8 PM at George Bell Arena, featuring the Death Track Dolls versus the Smoke City Betties. I know Paul will be sporting his Dolls' shirt to support the team - I think he just liked the logo, but why not? Pick a team! Come one, come all, cum on feel the noize. Be there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Saturday July 28th!!

Paul said...

Yes, I will be there, and yes, I will be throwing the horns while rocking my Death Track Doll shirt!

myron said...

thanks penny - will update!